Tuesday, August 13, 2013

OCD: Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

 OCD

I wish I could make those 3 letters flash, but I can't.

This subject has been on my mind for awhile now.  I've just not really taken the time to blog about it. 

The following are some definitions that I found online.

__________________________________________


  Webster's Definition: OBSESSIVE-COMPULSIVE DISORDER

: a psychoneurotic disorder in which the patient is beset with obsessions or compulsions or both and suffers extreme anxiety or depression through failure to think the obsessive thoughts or perform the compelling acts—abbreviation OCD;

Online Medical Dictionary Definition: 

Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
Disorder characterized by persistent, intrusive, and senseless thoughts (obsessions) or compulsions to perform repetitive behaviors that interfere with normal functioning.

__________________________________________

  
 
I think that OCD is one of the most overlooked mental disorders.
Yes, I think it's a mental disorder.
People with this disease suffer daily.
If you don't have it, you can't imagine how bad it is.
It is real.
It is painful.
The following are a list of things I HATE to hear people say:
Just ignore it
Just shake it off
I'd "MAKE" him/her change
They just do that for attention.
It doesn't matter if we do it "this way"--you'll just have to accept it.
(to someone with OCD--it does matter  

Like most "mental disorders" no one person suffers like anyone else. 
 Everyone suffers differently.
The following are a few of the ways I personally suffer or someone in my family suffers:  
The numbers on a volume control--have to be even.
The microwave has to be cleared--on 0.
Flowers--you have to plant the same amount of each color.
You have to have the same number of flower pots.
Mowing---all stripes have to be one way.
If you punch my right shoulder--you have to punch my left one
Walking on stripes--either walk on all or none
Notebook dividers--have to be color coordinated
If you start writing in one color--finish with that color, don't change middle way through (unless it will be even)
 Leaving the cabinet doors open.
Everything has to be in a certain way.
Money facing the same way.
Having to count everything, like steps taken, stairs, even how many pieces of ice that go into a glass. 
If you start reading something outloud, you have to finish.



I know a lot of you will think--"Well I do that, or
that bothers me, but I don't have OCD".
Just doing/having one of these problems, doesn't mean you have OCD, but it's  the combination & severity of them.
OCD takes it to the extreme.  
OCD causes problems for the one suffering. 

I'm just wanting to bring awareness to this illness.
I've suffered from it--to a certain degree
I have a family member that suffers from it. 
There's people who will actually do things to irritate you--on purpose.  They truly don't understand that it really does hurt you, physically & emotionally.
 
 When someone has an episode, they can have several different reactions.  Anything from crying, anxiety attack, trouble breathing etc...

If you ever come in contact with someone who is suffering from OCD, I hope that you'll be more aware & more understanding.
I hope you'll know that they can't help it, they can't just snap out of it.  
It's not something that they enjoy.
It's not something they have any control over.
The way YOU treat them---you have control over.  
 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment